top002Clark County Courts HomeAbout Clark County CourtsJustice CourtDistrict CourtFamily CourtJuvenile CourtCourt ClerkCourt Clerk
Welcome to Clark County Courts.usWelcome to Clark County
top011TrafficCivilCriminalSmall ClaimsFamily CourtProbateSelf HelpSearchSearch



The information provided is intended as a courtesy only.  Many family law matters involve complex and valuable legal rights which cannot adequately be protected without the assistance of an attorney.  The information provided is basic, general information that does not fit all situations.  It is the duty of each self-represented individual to know what rules of court and law apply. 

Clark County, the Eighth Judicial District Court, the Self-Help Center, and their employees shall not be liable for errors contained herein or for direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages in connection with the furnishing of this material.


An Answer is a document that a Defendant spouse may use to respond to a Complaint for Divorce. The Answer tells the judge what parts of the Complaint the Defendant agress with and what parts of the Complaint the Defedant does not agree with. After a Defendant is served with a Complaint for Divorce, he/she has 20 days to fine an Answer with the court.

If the Defendant wants to ask the judge for different or additional relief that Defendant may also file a Counterclaim which can be included in the Answer. A Counterclaim is a lawsuit that a Defendant files against a Plaintiff.

If the Defendant does not file an Answer the Plaintiff spouse may obtain a Default against the Defendant and will most likely get what he/she asked for in the Complaint for Divorce.

Once the Defendant files an Asnwer the Plaintiff has an opportunity to respond by filing a Reply. If the Plaintiff does not file a Reply he/she may be defaulted as well.

For more information about divorce in Nevada you may download the Self-Help Center's Divorce Informational Brochure.

NOTICE: If you, the other party, or your children have ties to a state other than Nevada (i.e. you recently moved to Nevada, you have orders from another state, etc.) you should consult an attorney before filing any documents because the court may not have jurisdiction over you or the children. The rules about jurisdiction are very complicated and you could lose valuable legal rights if you file the wrong document.


Below are the Self-Help Center's form packets for divorce. It is your duty to choose the correct divorce packet.  The Self-Help Center staff is prohibited from instructing customers on which packet to use. 

To choose a packet please read the brief description of each packet.  If you are still unsure of which packet to use, open each packet and read at least the first two pages of the instructions. You may use a packet if all of the statements under the heading "Explanation" apply to your particular situation.  If all of the statements do not apply to your particular situation then that packet is not the correct packet.

All of the packets are in a PDF (Portable Document Format).  In order to view and use the packets you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1 or higher.  If you do not, you can download it for free by clicking here.

Please be sure to print all pages because missing pages may render your document unacceptable to the courts.


Answer to Complaint for Divorce - This packet may be used if you want to file an Answer without a Counterclaim.

Answer and Counterclaim to Complaint for Divorce (No Children)- This packet may be used if you want to file an Answer and a Counterclaim to the Complaint for Divorce, and you and your spouse do not have children together.

Answer and Counterclaim to Complaint for Divorce (With Children) – This packet may be used if you want to file an Answer and a Counterclaim to the Complaint for Divorce, and you and your spouse have children together.  


Reply to Counterclaim for Divorce - This packet may be used if you want to reply to the Defendant's Counterclaim.


Ex Parte Motion to Seal File - Generally, your divorce case is a public record.  If you do not want the public to have access to your divorce papers, you can submit the following forms to the judge and have your divorce case sealed.

Financial Disclosure Form - All litigants filing a complaint or answer for divorce, annulment, separate maintenance, custody, or to dissolve a domestic parnership must file and serve the court approved Financial Disclosure Form.  Failure to timely file your Financial Disclosure Form may result in court ordered sanctions.

If either party earns more than $250,000/year (gross), your combined income is more than $250,000/year (gross), either party is self-employed or the owner, partner, managing or majority shareholder, or managing or majority member of a business, or if the combined gross value of the assets the parties own is more than $1,000,000, you may ask the court to require you and the other party to complete a Detailed Financial Disclosure Form instead. You are strongly encouraged to retain an attorney if the Detailed Financial Disclosure Form is required.



Regional Justice Center
200 Lewis Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89155

Family Courts and Services Center
601 N. Pecos
Las Vegas, NV 89155

© 2009 Clark County Courts, Clark County, NV

Privacy Statement   Court Rules   Holidays   Links   Help   FAQ     

Nevada Supreme Court   Clark County   Telephone Directory   Site Map