(702) 455-3898, email
What is the Neighborhood Justice Center?
The Neighborhood Justice Center (NJC) was established by the Nevada Legislature in 1991 to provide no-cost information, referral and mediation services to Clark County residents, businesses and organizations. The Neighborhood Justice Center has also established innovative specialized mediation programs. These programs include the Victim Offender Mediation (VOM) Program, Conflict Intervention Team (CIT), and Court Mediation Program. Mediation and conflict resolution training and community presentations are also offered.
What does the Neighborhood Justice Center do?
The NJC helps resolve conflicts at no cost through a comprehensive information and referral program and through mediation services. Mediation is a process that assists disputing parties to resolve their differences confidentially and reach a mutually satisfactory agreement with the help of a trained, neutral third party mediator. The NJC can assist in a variety of disputes, including neighborhood disputes, consumer/merchant disputes, employer/employee disputes, family disputes, landlord/tenant disputes, hospital-doctor/patient disputes, and parent/child disputes.
Mediation is a voluntary conflict resolution process in which a neutral third party helps disputants reach a mutually satisfactory agreement. A unique feature of mediation which makes it different from litigation, arbitration or counseling, is that the mediator does not render any decision or recommend any action. The parties come to their own agreement. The role of the mediator includes reducing the obstacles to communication, maximizing the exploration of alternatives, and addressing the needs of those involved and affected. Parties tend to be much more satisfied with the results of mediation than litigation.
Why use the NJC Mediation Process?
- Success: Approximately 76% mediated disputes result in a written agreement.
- Effectiveness: Mediated agreements are more likely to be fulfilled than court orders.
- Cost: There is no cost.
- Timeliness: We are ready to mediate when you are.
- Convenience: We can schedule a mediation at a safe, convenient location.
- Privacy: Mediations are conducted privately and confidentially.
How do I get started?
- Call 455-3898 and speak with our receptionist.
- Give the following information:
Name, address, telephone number, brief description of the situation
- Neighborhood Justice Center Intake Form
- Receive a call from a case manager who will ask you:
- to explain your situation
- what you have tried
- what you would like to do
- if you are interested in mediation
- for information on the other party
- The case manager will discuss your options with you and if you are interested in going forward with mediation, he/she will contact the other party to offer mediation.
- A mediation will be scheduled.
- mediation will be held that will typically last from 2-4 hours.
All mediations are conducted by well-trained, neutral NJC mediators.
All mediations are conducted by well-trained, neutral NJC mediators.NJC mediators are present to mediate on the day of court at Small Claims sessions in Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas and other courts by request.
THE NJC DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE OR AN ATTORNEY
For additional information please call (702) 455-3898, come into our offices between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. located at 330 S. 3rd St., Suite 600, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101 or contact us by email.